Skip to main content

Caturday's Resting Cat Shape Project

#RestingCatShape © Samantha Grenier 2020

Our cat Me-Mow acts as an alarm clock (when he feels like it). Most days he shows up in my bed, because he's looking for a warm place to sleep off his breakfast. At times he will dig at the hem of my comforter, until I let him under the covers. He nests there for hours. It's adorable!

Me-Mow Hiding Under Covers

When he gets warm, he migrates above the covers and pretty much just takes over the whole bed. I started taking his picture because he's so CUTE when he's not disrupting me! Sometimes I'll comment on his shape saying "you look like a loaf of bread!" or "Are you a jelly bean?!" What I am failing to capture in text is that I use a shrill voice, as though talking to a baby.

Sleepy Cat © Samantha Grenier 2020


He ignores me. So now I draw him… and parade his likeness on the Internet!

I started #RestingCatShape as a way to break into the #Caturday movement. It's not a daunting project because it's simply one drawing of the cat each week. I took the time to compile a collection of the photos I've taken of Me-Mow in his state of "rest," which turned out to be roughly 140 images (and counting) over a two year span. Seeing as there are only 52 weeks/year, and that I have since added to the collection, I'd say this is a solid project!

© Samantha Grenier 2020: Resting Cat Shape - Jelly Bean
Week 1: Jelly Bean
© Samantha Grenier 2020
© Samantha Grenier 2020: Resting Cat Shape -Vintage Toaster
Week 2: Vintage Toaster
© Samantha Grenier 2020

© Samantha Grenier 2020: Resting Cat Shape - Cooked Shrimp
Week 3: Cooked Shrimp
© Samantha Grenier 2020 
© Samantha Grenier 2020: Resting Cat Shape - Croissant
Week 4: Croissant
© Samantha Grenier 2020

Resting Cat Shape is a parody of the phrase "Resting Bitch Face" because frankly, he looks kinda disgruntled when he's just lying there. I hope this picks up and that other people will start adding to my hashtag. For now, I am chronicling my "shapely cat" over on Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and my personal Facebook wall.

© Samantha Grenier 2020: Resting Cat Shape - Nudibranch
Week 5: Nudibranch
© Samantha Grenier 2020

© Samantha Grenier 2020: Resting Cat Shape - Hard Taco Shell
Week 6: Hard-Shell Taco
© Samantha Grenier 2020

© Samantha Grenier 2020: Resting Cat Shape - Soup Dumpling
Week 7: Soup Dumpling
© Samantha Grenier 2020
© Samantha Grenier 2020: Resting Cat Shape - Corn Dog
Week 8: Corn Dog
© Samantha Grenier 2020
© Samantha Grenier 2020: Resting Cat Shape - Brains
Week 9: Brains
© Samantha Grenier 2020
© Samantha Grenier 2020: Resting Cat Shape - Trivial Pursuit Game Piece
Week 10: Trivial Pursuit Game Piece
© Samantha Grenier 2020

Thank you Me-Mow for being such a huge source of inspiration. More pictures are on their way— please follow my Instagram feed for the best view.

And thanks for not waking me too early this morning :-)

Samantha

Comments