Skip to main content

Library Day: Oct 9, 2012


Early trip to the library! 9 picture books to flip through this fortnight:

  • Ella Takes the Cake, by Carmela & Steven D'Amico
  • Mitchell's License, by Hallie Durand, illustrated by Tony Fucile
  • Augie to Zebra, by Kate Endle and Caspar Babypants
  • When My Baby Dreams, by Adele Enersen, spot ills by Jennifer Rozbruch*
  • Kitten's First Full Moon, by Kevin Henkes
  • Dog in Charge, by K.L. Going, illustrated by Dan Santat
  • The Man Who Walked Between The Towers, by Mordicai Gerstein
  • 999 Tadpoles, by Ken Kimura, illustrated by Yasunari Murakami
  • Mary Had a Little Lamp, by Jack Lechner, illustrated by Bob Staake
* My goal as an illustrator is really to get a sense of other illustrators' styles, familiarize myself with classic and modern stories, and learn about the flow and composition of a book. For this, I typically gravitate towards illustrated picture books, of a "traditional media". I've included this in my picture book selection to get a grasp on Enersen's inspired thinking. When My Baby Dreams is a recent release and the talk of the town in pop culture. The concept behind this book is clever, and let's face it, incredibly cute: 


Though I'm attracted towards illustrations, this is a smart idea for children's literature. For me this is new media/sculpture. Still-life, 3-Dimentional illustration, and sculpture have been around for... forever. Using life as props/sculptural elements to complete a story from page-to-page is well done here.

Comments