Skip to main content

The Spinal Project


So since JUNE (last post date,) what I have I been doing?

I want to say I've been sitting at "one of those box-y things, with the four legs and writing/drawing" That's where I spend most of my time: the desk. 90% of my summer was eaten up by sitting and looking. And then I wonder why I'm so out of shape....

My concrete answer: I've been pushing around a heavy load at work-work, on top of the usual doodling and reading I preform at home. I've grown an addiction to the library which only becomes inconvenient when my "Lie-Berry" day lands on a Holiday or extended weekend. I think I can make it about 10 days before I throw my hands up into the air and cheer out "LIE-BERRY DAY!" I plan to share "Lie-Berry" day with the blog world, as I do with my other read'n blog: I want everyone to know what I'm reading/admiring.

So what is "Lie-Berry" Day? This is the day I head over to the town library and pick out a stack of picture books (usually about 10-12) and gawk at them. A standard picture book is about 32 pages, so I usually get antsy for a new stack of libros every 7-10 days.

Honestly haven't been tracking my Children's Lit picks as closely as my "grown-up" reads, but I realize that needs to change. Flipping through the cubbies of books every week or so, I'm lucky I can identify those read, with those yet to be visited. To fix this I plan to shoot the book spines and post them here.

This week is a little thinner than usual, as I picked up some non-picture-esque research books as well (those aren't quite as exciting). I'm reading:

  • The Hello, Goodbye Window, by Norton Juster; illustrations by Chris Raschka
  • The Gruffalo, by Julia Donaldson; illustrations by Axel Scheffler
  • Strega Nona, by Tomie dePaola (a & i)
  • The Little Piano Girl, by Ann Ingalls and Maryann Macdonald; illustrations by Giselle Potter
  • Mei Li, by Thomas Handforth (a & i)
  • Squids Will Be Squids, by Jon Scieszka (a), Lane Smith (i), and design by Molly Leach

Comments